The Macdonald-Kelce Library, as the information access center of the university, has the basic goal of supporting instruction, research, and service learning. Members of the university community use library resources, print and electronic, to meet their various informational needs. As a Federal Depository, the library is also open to the public seeking government information (by appointment). Librarians and library staff are committed to providing a comfortable environment, delivering service that promotes the goals of lifelong learning, and making scholarly content generated by UT more open, accessible, and durable.
The original University of Tampa Library was housed in Fletcher Lounge in historic Plant Hall from 1933 until 1969.
The Merl Kelce Library at The University of Tampa opened October 19, 1969, and was named for the late St. Louis industrialist, Mr. Merl Kelce. His donation of $250,000 to the UT Building Fund made completion of the facility possible.
It was re-named the Macdonald-Kelce Library in 1999.